Breaking News

Asia Today ISSN 1861-4604 Friday, October 20, 2017

Headline

Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to baby girl following rapid labour

The princess is fourth in line to the throne

Share on Facebook May 2, 2015, Reporter : BigNewsNet, Reader : 474

PHOTO CREDIT: Trend News Agency news

The Duchess of Cambridge has given birth to a girl, Kensington Palace has confirmed, with an official announcement also placed on an aisle outside Buckingham Palace.

The princess, fourth in line to the throne, under new succession laws passed in 2013, was "safely delivered" at 08:34am UK time, Kensington Palace said in a statement.

The Duke of Cambridge was present for the birth of the baby girl, who weighed 8lbs 3oz (3.7kg) and both Princess Catherine and her daughter and reported to be doing well.

The name of the baby will be announced in due course, the statement said.

The Duchess of Cambridge had been admitted to the Lindo Wing at St Mary's Hospital at around 6am, the same hospital where the couple's first child Prince George was born in July 2013.

Journalists and onlookers had gathered enmasse in the street and prepared for a long labour, but it was all over within just two and a half hours.

"The Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Harry and members of both families have been informed and are delighted with the news," the statement from Kensington Palace said.

The latest royal baby joins the line of succession behind her grandfather Prince Charles, father Prince William and brother Prince George and is Queen Elizabeth II's fifth great-grandchild.

The news was announced just after 11:00am UK time, and the delay was due to the need to inform other members of the Royal Family before the public, according to reports.

As news filtered through outside St Mary's there were cries and cheers from the crowd, and mirroring the fanfare following Prince George's birth, an official town crier made his own birth announcement.

The street outside the hospital is now a mass of media, police, royal fans and curious onlookers and the wait begins again as everyone outside the Lindo Wing speculates on whether the duke and duchess and their new princess will leave hospital today.

Congratulations have flooded social media from all corners of the country and government, while the Royal Navy carried on its tradition of congratulating the Royal Family with an aft deck salute>Photo Courtesy

 

More Euro Asia news of the month

Photos Federal judge blocks latest version of Trump’s travel ban

WASHINGTON, U.S. - Delivering another blow to U.S. President Donald Trump’s controversial travel ban, a federal judge on Tuesday...

Photos MeToo: Thousands Share Stories of Sexual Abuse

In the wake of sexual abuse allegations against Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, tens of thousands of women are identifying themselves...

Photos General Assembly elects new members to UN Human Rights Council

16 October 2017 - The General Assembly today elected, by secret ballot, 15 States to serve on the Human Rights Council, the highest...

Photos Nigeria Tries 1,600 Boko Haram Suspects

DAKAR - The largest trial of Boko Haram suspects in the history of Nigeria's ongoing fight against the terrorist group is under way...

Photos Trump wants to shut down news firms that criticize him

WASHINGTON, U.S. - U.S. President Donald Trump landed himself in another controversy, suggesting on Wednesday that news organizations...

Photos Nobel Peace Prize Awarded to Anti-Nuclear Weapons Group

OSLO, NORWAY - The International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons (ICAN) won the Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, as the Norwegian Nobel...

Photos Despite Kim Jong Un’s rhetoric, CIA believes he is rational

WASHINGTON, U.S. - Despite the months of hostile talk indicating a possible war breaking out, now a top CIA spook has said that the...

Photos Putin declares he has no personal ties with Trump

Moscow [Russia], October 5 (ANI): Russian President Vladimir Putin admitted that he once met United States President Donald Trump, but...

Photos Vegas massacre: Stephen Paddock, the man who murdered dozens

LAS VEGAS, U.S. - The man who led the shocking massacre of music fans gathered at an outdoor country music concert near the Mandalay Bay...

Flying Reimagined

Stock Index

Friday, October 20, 2017

Life Style

Photo Gallery

FEUILLETON